Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Drilling


When I met my new dentist I couple of months ago he told me I needed two crowns replaced. Today I’m back for the moulds and lots of drilling.

The dentist’s assistant has the self-satisfied smile and round face of a tabby cat. She squeezes her eyes slightly as she listens to me and gives a barely visible nod.

My dentist is soft spoken with an air of confidence. His build is slight, but turning my head the lock he has on my jaw is powerful. Even with nova cane I feel a little discomfort, and as the discomfort increases I begin to dislike my dentist and his assistant.

Cutting off the old crowns water splatters out of my mouth, across my face, and down my chest. Making impressions for the new crowns little pieces of the putty flake off, move around my mouth and into my throat. Between the water and debris I feel as if I’m drowning. My mind moves on to what it would be like to drown. My throat tightens and quickly I decide this is not something to contemplate.

I change my focus to the windows and the snow coming over the mountains. Out the window in front of me the sky is gray and clouds move and dissolve as I watch. Out the window to my right the sky is bright blue and the clouds puffy white. I wonder if the storm will fight its way over the mountains, or will it be blown away from us.

As my one and a half hour appointment ends I think of the milk shake I will buy. I’m still not feeling chummy with my captures, but thank goodness the decision of chocolate or vanilla is taking over.

No comments:

Post a Comment